It’s that time again to get ready for New Year’s resolutions. Some may consider exercising more or spend less time on our phones, but our family dental clinic highly recommends these tips for maintaining your oral health including teeth and gums. Below are some New Year’s resolutions for maintaining good oral health in the new year.
Improving Your Brushing Habits
One of the most important steps to improving your oral health is to improve your brushing habits at home. This should include:
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes at least twice a day.
- Invest in a quality toothbrush that does not hurt your teeth or gums.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months to not collect bacteria.
- Use a toothpaste with fluoride to strengthen your teeth. Our family dental care clinic can recommend the best options for you and your family based on dental needs.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue to remove bacteria and eliminate bad breath.
Commit to Flossing
While it is vital to take care of your gums by flossing, most people admit not flossing at all. Our general and preventative family dentists highly recommend using dental floss or interdental brushes to clean between your teeth and along the gum line. Even a water flosser is better to use daily than not floss at all. Once you are done flossing, rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash to reduce plaque and prevent gum disease.
By neglecting your gums, you may run the risk of getting infections or inflammations in your gums (periodontal disease). Periodontal disease can be painful, so it is best to seek a professional restorative dentist that can treat your gum disease before there are major consequences for your teeth.
Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle
One of the best ways to keep your mouth in good shape between dental appointments is to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes fruit and vegetables to give your mouth proper nutrition.
- Limit alcohol consumption, sugary, soda, and acidic foods & drinks to protect enamel.
- Quit smoking or vaping as this can lead to infections and periodontal disease that may require an emergency dentist.
Contact Our North Orange, NSW Dentists!
Scheduling consistent dental appointments throughout the year can help keep your mouth in good shape and avoid gum illnesses. Regular teeth cleaning appointments can prevent tooth decay, cavities, gum disease, and more. At Hitek Family Dental Care, we offer affordable dental services including teeth cleaning for the whole family. Book an appointment online or call our Orange, NSW dental clinic at 02 6362 1987.